Old 29-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Bonnie

Default Potato Harvest question

BlankWe dug some of our red potatoes as the vines were dead . How do we go about storing them? My husband heard something about leaving them in the sun for a day or so,but I thought the sun was bad for them,would turn them green.

Bonnie

Old 29-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Gary Woods

"Bonnie" wrote:

We dug some of our red potatoes as the vines were dead . How do we go about storing them? My husband heard something about leaving them in the sun for a day or so,but I thought the sun was bad for them,would turn them green.

Store in a not too cool dry place for about a month, then into a cold
cellar, as close to 100% humidity and barely above freezing as possible.

Old 29-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Gary Woods

Old 29-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Bonnie

Won't they sprout with that much humidity? And I thought the real cold like
refrig temp made the starch change to sugar??
"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Bonnie" wrote:

We dug some of our red potatoes as the vines were dead . How do we go

about storing them? My husband heard something about leaving them in the sun
for a day or so,but I thought the sun was bad for them,would turn them
green.

Store in a not too cool dry place for about a month, then into a cold
cellar, as close to 100% humidity and barely above freezing as possible.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at

home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Old 30-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Bonnie said:
We dug some of our red potatoes as the vines were dead . How do we =
go about storing them? My husband heard something about leaving them in =
the sun for a day or so,but I thought the sun was bad for them,would =
turn them green.

I store mine right in the ground under a thick layer of chopped straw. The
risks are that voles will nibble on some of them. The benefits are that they
are stored in a cool, damp area so they don't sprout and shrivel up, which is
what potatoes stored in my house always do.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 01-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Dwayne

You are confusing potatoes with sweet potatoes. Curing sweet potatoes
consist of laying then out where they will be in the heat (80 degrees - not
the sun - winter squash go into he sun) and high humidity (80 + percent) for
10 to days (longer if you cant match either of those conditions - add
another 5 or so days). That turns the starch to sugar.

Then store them as close to 55 degrees as possible (mine stay at 65 to 70
degrees F). If they get colder like in a frig, the sugar will turn back
into starch and will not go back to sugar again.

I just dug my first box of sweet potatoes yesterday, and will get the rest
before the first frost. Here is a question for the group. If we get a
surprise frost over night, how long after the sun comes up do I have to rip
all the greens of the top before the potatoes are ruined?

Dwayne
Old 01-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Lightnin Dave

Dwayne wrote:
Here is a question for the group. If we get a
surprise frost over night, how long after the sun comes up do I have to rip
all the greens of the top before the potatoes are ruined?

If a hot sun after frost ruins sweet potatoes, does it also ruin Irish
potatoes? I had not heard of that before.

Lightnin Dave

Old 08-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Dwayne

Dave I don't think the sun has anything to do with it. I think it just
takes the chemical change in the sweet potato leaves to get down in the
potatoes and make them bitter. I honestly don't know.

When it happened to me I was in zone 7, I was out at sun up ripping off the
greens to save the potatoes. Now I am in zone 5 and dig them in spurts. I
have been out twice this year digging them and putting them in to cure, so
that if we get a surprise frost, I wont have to get up early and kill myself
to save the crop.

I have no idea about Irish potatoes and what effect frost will have on them.
I have never been around someone who has raised them. When ever I raised
them, I had them dug by the end of August.

Dwayne