Old 06-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Marty Haber

Good question: I hope I have as good an answer.
The main reason why it is recommended that the soil be allowed to dry out is
to prevent root rot. As we all know, some plants, such as water lilies and
calladiums can live and thrive with their roots submerged in water
indefinitely. Why is it good for them and not for other plants? Because
most plants need more air circulation to keep their roots healthy. Aha! So
could this mean that there is a structural difference between fibrous roots
and non-fibrous roots? Well, just by looking at them we can see that there
are many more tiny white feeder roots on the fibrous plants than on the
non-fibrous ones.
Since these feeder roots are the ones which require the most moisture, it
follows that they must be watered more frequently than the non-fibrous ones.
Hence, we keep broad leafed evergreens moister than needled evergreens. In
fact, the argument that some trees should be allowed to dry out almost
completely should be limited to such trees as black pines, Scots pines and
junipers. Broad leafed evergreens should never be allowed to go dry.
One more important consideration: soil composition and amount of sunshine.
The more organic material in your soil mix, the slower it is to lose
moisture. The more sun exposure, the faster the evaporation.
I hope this explanation does more to answer your question than to confuse
you.
Marty