Old 12-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Peter Brown

When I said hedging, I didn't mean a formal hedge, but rather a high
screening shrub. Something that would grow to about 5-6 feet high.

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "Peter Brown"
wrote:

I've tried unsuccessfully for years to grow Viburnum as a hedge in my

front
garden and have just dug up the soil to discover that the soil is heavy

clay
after about 6-7 inches. The top 6 inches has clumps of clay in it. Can
anybody suggest a good hedge for a site that gets good amounts of

sunshine.
Somebody suggested a PYRACANTHA (especially Mohave). Any comments??

Why not turn the soil in the whole area to a foot depth, mix in some good
compost or peat, & maybe even raise the bed a little with good soil that
will get better drainage. There's not much that would ever be hedgeable
that would want to grow in six inches of soil. Pyracantha maybe.
Franchett's cotoneaster would grow large swiftly & well, but it's a
fountaining shrub & couldn't be hedged square. Others that make good
screening shrubs but don't hedge into artificial squares would include
shrubby winter honeysuckle, western serviceberry, twinberry, or contorted
hazels. But working the soil beforehand, you could stick to your first
choice of viburnums.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"