Old 13-09-2004, 12:59 AM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
Rachel Nex wrote in message

Thanks for that - I was wondering about eating all of it in time but bf
is a gannet and I have two gannet-y dogs too so I doubt it will be much
of an issue ;-). I notice that the website says they will start
delivering in October to where I live. It sounds like a go-er for me.

Thanks to all who replied.

One latecomer: I asked my sister as promised, and she replied:

We used to collect our box from the farm - they delivered but charged
extra and we enjoyed the trip out! A medium one suited us fine when G
was a baby and ate what was put in front of her, but when she got
selective we were buying lots of things like broccoli which there was
never enough of.

Kiddie who likes broccoli ? Result ! (Can't stand the stuff meself but any
child who will eat veg is a wonderous species to me - my bf's three sprogs
are McDonalds and similar rubbish only addicts, thanks to their mum [and dad
if truth be told] who feed them it by the score. :-( Thank goodness I don't
have them over for dinner - they'd hate me !)

We also always had to buy extra potatoes because
there were never enough baking sized ones for us.

I can see this could be a problem for most people but I am one of those odd
bods who like small potatoes baked in groups instead of one or two bigger
ones. Possibly cos I like the crispy skin and if you have little spuds you
get more skin to flesh ratio. :-) And of course they cook quicker !

We liked the salad
but lots of people didn't because it was a wierd mixture - sometimes
we suspected them of grabbing some handfuls of weeds from the verge to
top up the bags! I think they're fine so long as you're prepared to
eat what you're given. If you don't there's a lot of wastage. And in
my - and others-experience you have to like chard!!

I did wonder about this too - never had chard. WTH is it ? Like spinach or
what ?

We also got a
few boxes from Simply Organics - they were wonderful quality and
included fruit but were very expensive and I was bothered by the
number of food miles involved. Why doesn't your friend give it a try.
Most of the schemes let you have a trial box, even the direct debit
sign up for a year ones like Perry Court. I can dig out the number of
the place near Canterbury if it would help. Or there's one we're just
about to try near us at Luddenham.

From the wbesite I see Riverford start delivering round my way in October,
so I am eagerly awating giving it a try then. I anticipate fresh veggies for
veggie stew in the winter months. Salivate !

Thanks for the late(r) tips, Mike.

Rachael