Old 06-09-2004, 06:37 PM
Alan Walker

Pat: It is helpful to consider the source. Who is saying that
there should be more moisture in the soil? And what is their
basis or reasoning for this?
As others have mentioned, it is better to have the tree a
little on the dry side when you wire to reduce your risk of
branches snapping as you bend them.
Other answers seemed to be directed to general soil
humidity rather than at the time of wiring, so I guess the
questions weren't quite as clear as hoped. Of course, general
soil humidity requirements will vary by tree. Some like it pretty
wet and others prefer a more arid soil environment.

Alan Walker