Old 06-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Kitsune Miko

Sounds like a song title, "How dapm is my soil, how
high is the sky"

Pat,

I don't know the new wet thinking, but I may be able
to shed some light on the old dry thinking.

It is thought that when the plant cells are full of
water that it is easier to crack a branch. Think of
the cell structure of fresh celery and that of not so
fresh. Not that we would ever let our plants get as
dry as limp celery, but you get the comparison. I
have found this to be true in my practice.

Perhaps the alternative is that when the cells swell
back up with water, you wire cut quicker.

Dunno

Kitsune Miko
--- Pat Patterson wrote:

G'day all...

I guess the question should be "how damp should my
soil be?".

However, to the point...traditional wisdom tells us
that our soil should be
relatively "dry" when wiring. For example, Tom Zane
says in his Syllabus (4th
ed., 2001) that the soil "...should be relatively
dry..."; and, Deborah
Koreshoff says the soil should be "dryish" (to the
point that it is due for
watering), not turgid. I've heard the same thing
several times in lectures,
classes and workshops as recently as 5 years back.

Now, I have recently been told that this thinking is
changing...that there
should be more moisture than previously thought, in
the soil.

I have researched at least 15 books, plus other
sources, and curiously, the
subject is seldom discussed.

Is the traditional wisdom changing? Is there, in
fact, significant evidence
that indicates more moisture?

Would like to hear your thoughts.

Have a good day...

Pat

Dez of the Arizona High Dezert, at 4550', Oracle,
AZ,
2000' above Tucson Sunset Zone 10 USDA Zone 8
aka: Pat Patterson 'riding off in all
directions'

++++Sponsored, in part, by Evergreen
Gardenworks++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott