Old 13-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Arcee

Linda Carr wrote in message ...
in article , Arcee at
wrote on 8/31/04 4:07 PM:

I would like to plant fast growing shrubs that can act as a screen
(need to be upwards of 6 feet high). They will be planted in a shady,
wooded area with virtually no direct sunlight. I live in Zone 5.

Any suggestions on shrubbery that will meet the specified criteria?

Thanks.........

I am also in zone 5, and with the same conditions that you mention. I
planted a privet (ligustrum ibolium) hedge in my wooded garden , spacing the
plants about 2 feet apart, and left it unpruned. It reached about 10' in
just a few years. It has no insect pests or diseases, and is easily grown
from cuttings. The birds like the black berries, and it does well with no
direct sun, just dappled shade from the tall maples and beeches.

Mahonia aquifolium also does well in the woodland, but it only reaches about
3 feet in height in deeper shade.

Linda in Central NY
zone 5

Thanks to those who offered straight forward, intelligent answers.
Seems John T. What'shisname and Dee seemed to have missed out on the
intelligent part.