Old 31-08-2004, 09:07 PM
Arcee

Default Shrubbery

I would like to plant fast growing shrubs that can act as a screen
(need to be upwards of 6 feet high). They will be planted in a shady,
wooded area with virtually no direct sunlight. I live in Zone 5.

Any suggestions on shrubbery that will meet the specified criteria?

Thanks.........
Old 31-08-2004, 09:42 PM
John T. Jarrett

Hmmm....we need more data than that!

Like, well, must we cut it with a herring?

grin Sorry, couldn't help it...

Oh, and will it be chewed upon by Llamas? Also also very
important...Visited by swallows maybe? I mean, not African swallows
because they are non migratory you know...

:)

John

om...

Old 31-08-2004, 10:19 PM
paghat

In article ,
(Arcee) wrote:

I would like to plant fast growing shrubs that can act as a screen
(need to be upwards of 6 feet high). They will be planted in a shady,
wooded area with virtually no direct sunlight. I live in Zone 5.

Any suggestions on shrubbery that will meet the specified criteria?

Thanks.........

This is partly just a guess because I garden in a mellower climate than
Zone 5, but I think Hydrangea serrata hybrids will do great for you,
flowering gorgeously in partial shade & growing quite big (eight by eight
feet). You might mix in with them some flowering currants. These are
deciduous so less of a screen in winter.

Several types of viburnum would do well in your zone, possibly Arrow-wood
Viburnum for zone 5, but check your own nurseries to see what kinds of
viburnums are popular for your area. American Witchhazel might be
appropriate; slow growing, but if you get five or six foot tall potted
specimens, they won't be terribly expensive.

For something evergreen, leatherleaf mahonia can grow upright to six feet
or taller, does well in semi-shade with bright yellow flowers & edible
berries, but it can be slow-growing in the shade & to have big ones may
require investing in them already substantial in size. The other
shade-oriented evergreen choice is apt to be some kind of yew, again
slow-growing so to get a screen out of them means looking for upright
varieties already substantial in size.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 01-09-2004, 12:43 AM
Pam - gardengal

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article ,
(Arcee) wrote:

[...]

Some good suggestions, but few of these plants will be hardy in zone 5 ( I
know, paggers - it's hard to make that transition from our mild zone 8).
Hydrangea macrophylla is borderline in zone 6 and serratas are often less
hardy. Leatherleaf mahonia is also a zone 6 plant....in fact there are very
few evergreen shade tolerant shrubs for zone 5. And too much shade is not to
the liking of many deciduous viburnums and one will not get the blooming
potential from flowering plants grown in much shade.

Ribes could do the trick but the most common flowering currants (R.
sanguineum) are west coast natives and although hardy, are uncommon in the
east. Ribes odoratum will be more likely to be present in area nurseries.
Kerria japonica will grow in almost complete shade but may not flower
heavily. But it is a pretty rapid grower.

For evergreen screening in shade in your zone, yews are the plant of
choice, but as paghat mentioned these are NOT fast growing - buy the largest
you can find/afford.

pam - gardengal

Old 01-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Dee

"John T. Jarrett" wrote in
:

Hmmm....we need more data than that!

Like, well, must we cut it with a herring?

grin Sorry, couldn't help it...

Oh, and will it be chewed upon by Llamas? Also also very
important...Visited by swallows maybe? I mean, not African swallows
because they are non migratory you know...

:)

John

I think the only person who would know would be Roger the Shrubber. You
might try the Knights Who Say Ni - some of them get pretty tall ;-)

Dee

om...