Old 13-09-2004, 10:05 PM
enigma

(William R. Watt) wrote in
:

My applogies. This was supposed to go in a local gardening
newsgroup.

(the tree is not infected and the butternuts have been
washed. thanks for the concern.)

would removing the outer husk also help? i have several
infected butternuts, one of which is producing nuts still (the
others are in my sugarbush & woodlot, so i wouldn't likely see
nuts before the squirrels get them, so i don't know if they're
producing or not). i really like the butternuts, & would like
to try to grow more.
i do have an American chestnut which had blight, was severely
pruned to remove all traces & has no sign of blight now. it
produces nuts, but a lot of them are empty. i don't know if
this is because of blight or a pollination problem though. is
it possible that coppicing the butternut tree & burning the
blighted parts might restore it, as it did with the chestnut?
lee