Old 12-09-2004, 01:29 PM
William R. Watt

Default free butternuts for planting

I have some free butternuts for planting if anyone wants to pick up a few
near the intersection of Merivale Road and Meadowlands Drive in the west
end. Please reply by email. If mailing from outside the NCF be sure tp put
"notpsam" in the subject line to get past my spam filtre.

These are tree seeds of a nothern variety of walnut which is being killed
off by an asian tree virus. It's on some government endangered species
list. You can read about it by doing a search on "butternut tree" in the
Internet.

I gathered these nuts to plant along waterways when I go out boating. They
prefer the moist air near water. They also have to be in the sun to grow
and produce nuts. After 5-6 years they start producing nuts and then the
squirrels scatter the nuts and more trees grow. (Some Internet websites
erroneously claim it take 20 years to start producing nuts. The trees from
which I gathered these nuts are less than 10 years old.) They have to be
planted in the fall because the seeds have to go through a cold phase to
germinate.

I've started planting some around the west end of Ottawa on public
property but I am hoping to get some planted in isolated areas along
waterways outside of Ottawa where they might escape the tree virus and the
species may survive. Apparently the tree has disappeared from the southern
limits of it range in the Carolinas, and 80% are said to have gone from
one northern US state. The Ottawa Valley is about the northern limit of
it's range.

Of the 8 trees in the group where I gathered these nuts, one is infected
and is dying. There is also a big old butternut behind the KW Neatbly
building on Carling Ave at the headquarters of Agriculture Canada where I
gathered some nuts in the early 1980's. If anyone want's to see what a dying
butternut looks like, that tree is one.

PS: I also have some dried black cherries, elderberries, and juneberries
for planting if anyone wants a few.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old 13-09-2004, 01:56 PM
William R. Watt

My applogies. This was supposed to go in a local gardening newsgroup.

(the tree is not infected and the butternuts have been washed. thanks
for the concern.)

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

[IMG] code is On

BUTTERNUTS F Murtz Edible Gardening 3 25-02-2014 01:09 PM
BUTTERNUTS F Murtz Australia 0 23-02-2014 08:25 AM
Free Website, Free Domain, Free Installation, Free Scripts hostnomi United Kingdom 0 25-03-2008 08:11 AM
Butternuts Leslie United Kingdom 3 06-10-2004 01:02 PM
Free satellite imagery + free utility available for making beautiful base maps Geosage Plant Science 0 23-09-2004 03:13 PM