Old 07-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Rob Halgren

Elpaninaro wrote:

All that is accurate enough, but there is no requirement (at least
in the AOS Judging rules) that an FCC has to be voted on by more than
one team. A legal team (of the proper size and composition) can give
any quality award they want.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the post. Wanted to clarify the snip above with you since you are a
judge and I may be wrong here.

It is my understanding that all FCCs are provisional until the slide and
measurements are reviewed at a later time and place- I guess at headquarters or
by judges from another region?

Not FCCs. Not as far as I know, anyway. The slides are
automagically submitted to the AOS for consideration for one of the
national awards - can't remember which off the top of my head (best
FCC). I wouldn't want somebody second guessing my opinion about a
plant from a picture - there is a reason we judge from live material,
and why I've always been yelled at when I say something negative about a
slide. "I wouldn't have given that an AM" should be moderated by the
fact that the photo could be bad, or not representative, or just plain
not my decision... You may hear about it later, if you have screwed up,
but that doesn't invalidate the award.

CBR (botanical recognition) and CHM (horticultural merit) I believe
are both provisional upon taxonomic verification. All awards are
provisional on payment of the fee.

PS- If I may ask, which home region do you judge in? We may have met in the
past if you have been judging for 12 years and get anywhere near Texas.

Don't get near Texas too much. I'm in the Great Lakes center.
I've only been officially in the judging program for 5 years, but I
observed and participated (as well an observer can) for many years
before that... We are pretty relaxed up here, observers can sit at the
judging table, and even make comments usually. And we take advantage of
the more senior observers sometimes to make measurements and write
descriptions (of course we check, but it does help).

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )