Old 14-09-2004, 01:19 AM
Mark Herbert

In article ,
"SVTKate" wrote:

Dang! Those are pretty!
Do you think that maybe they have cross polinated with a Morning Glory maybe
or a stray MG wove itself in?

The first thing I ruled out was a volunteer Morning Glory. I traced the
purple-flowered tendril back to the main vine and all the other branches
are producing typical large white flowers. The purple flowers seem
confused about what time of day they prefer to open, some open late
afternoon and some early morning. They have flower buds that don't look
like either Morning Glory or Moonflower. I grew these vines from first
generation store-bought seed, and the vines are normal in all respects
other than the single purple flowering branch, so it must just be a
sport. Freaky. Nice.

Are they visibly on the same vine both purple and white?
If they do make seeds, I'd sure like to get my hands on a few.

About eight flowers have come and gone so far, and none have set seed.
I think the flowers are self-sterile. I'm gonna try a few hand
pollinations between the purple and white flowers and if I get any seeds
I'll grow them out and if I get something unique I will be glad to share
seeds. A normally sized and shaped purple Moonflower would sure be a
hit in my book. May take some time, but I'll keep you all informed.

When I was just a little Kate my Grandma had a moonflower. As youngins my
two cousins and I would go down and watch them open, it was like magic.

I sit on my front porch swing and watch them open. Almost every evening
little hummingbird moths swing by, and later in the night my Moonflowers
and Daturas are frequently visited by huge sphinx moths.

Thanks for sharing the photos

My pleasure!

Kate

"Mark Herbert" wrote in message
| I've modified the links and they should work now.
|
| In article .net,
| "SVTKate" wrote:
|
| Your links pop up as an email address....
| why not just post a link to the pics?
|
| Kate
|
| "Mark Herbert" wrote in message
| | My Ipomoea alba vine has sported a purple ruffled mutation or
something.
| | Has anyone here seen this before? Is there hope that any seeds that
may
| | set from these flowers will produce a vine with similar flowers?
| |