Old 14-09-2004, 01:15 AM
George V. Roberts Jr.

Default Rosa Rugosa Fall Planting Massachusetts?

Hi. I'm new to gardening in general and rose cultivation in particular and I
thought I'd try to pick the brains of those who know. I live in
Massachusetts (Zone 5 bordering on 6) and I ordered a shipment of 30 bare
root Rosa rugosa shrubs for fall planting from a nursery in Tennessee. The
nursery told me that the shipment would not be ready to ship until
mid-October. I was thinking this might not be enough time for the shrubs to
establish themselves before winter sets in, so I put the order off until
spring. But the more I read about Rosa rugosa, the more unkillable it seems.
Was wondering if you folks I did the right thing, or would you go ahead and
plant in mid- to late October? Thanks in advance for any insight you can
offer. George