Old 10-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Rob Halgren

Gene Schurg wrote:
What's the worse case for you to wait for the Greenhouse? You could keep
them in the barn for several days without damage provided the barn doesn't

get that cold.

Its a pole barn, but it would be easy to heat. I have power out
there. It does make sense, I've left plants in boxes for a few weeks at
a time without a problem. Only problem is moving them. As long as the
weather channel is reasonably close to correct, I would have a few days
warning on any really scary weather.

If you have the plants under cover and they structure warms up during the
day it may stay warm enough without any heaters.

That is what I am hoping, although if we get some of the inevitable
cold drizzly days it might get ugly.

Have you considered a couple of electric heaters and fans that would keep
the temporary greenhouse warm on those first couple of cool nights?

Fans I got. I'm a little nervous around electricity and outside - I
don't think most of the electric heaters are really designed to be
rained on.

I get nervous around the temporary propane heaters because of the carbon
monoxide. I have an attachment to put on a propane tank if there was a

Well, for outside (the shade house) I'm not too worried about CO.
When I get the greenhouse up I'll have double the heating capacity that
I need - I have two furnaces sized for the original greenhouse, which is
twice as big as I'm putting up. I'll put them on separate thermostats
with one set to fire at a lower temperature, so if I lose a furnace I
should still be ok. Only problem is electricity - I need to work out a
generator in case the power goes out. I was thinking of getting a
propane generator.

Sounds like you need to push your contractor to finish .... NOW!

I need to get the contractor to give me a final bid first... He
didn't seem concerned about finishing it in time, said that was the easy
part. He's the expert, but I'm the guy who loses the plants if he is
wrong. We'll see. I'm trying to get more than one bid, of course, but
that would be easier if I had started my panic attack a few weeks ago.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )