Old 10-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Rob Halgren

FussyLittleGirl wrote:

I grow Milts in fine coconut husk in clear pots and they love it. The
medium stays moist but not soggy. Does not compact the roots.

I'm not a pro at it either, but the collection I just purchased had a
lot of miltonia and miltoniopsis (five hundred maybe). They are all
doing reasonably well despite being terribly abused for about nine
months, including infrequent watering, low humidity, no fertilizer, and
a fairly long time without the shade cloth on the greenhouse too. All
were potted in a fine (seedling) bark mix with a little perlite and
charcoal. They are tougher than you might expect. Most are a little
yellow, but are greening up nicely with a shot of fertilizer.

Personally I like coconut, but not the small stuff. I'd use a medium
grade (1/4"). But that is just me. And I mix it with large sponge rock
and some charcoal. Coconut looks like it dries out, but go ahead and
give a chunk a good squeeze 4 or 5 days after you water. You will get a
lot of water out. That makes me a little nervous about using it straight.

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )