Old 16-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Curtis Thetford

Default Preventing backflow in DIY CO2

I am contemplating the use of a DIY CO2 system and it looks like there are
three major types of disasters that occur. Exploding bottles, sucking yeast
into the tank and siphoning the tank dry. To deal with the last two
problems, it looks like a bubble counter in a jar is often used. I'm not a
siphoning expert but is that sufficient to prevent siphoning the tank? If a
siphon starts and fills the bubble counter, could the water then siphon from
the tank through the counter and into the bottle? Of course I also wonder,
since the system is sealed, if it is possible to siphon more than 2l out of
the tank since once the bottle is full, the water has no where to go?

If I want to use a check valve can I use the average $1.00 one at PetsMart?
I have seen some posts with references to problems with using standard air
hose and valves with CO2 systems, but I can't seem to find any details as to
what the problems actually are.

Thanks!

--

Curtis Thetford