Old 16-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Curtis Thetford

Default Preventing backflow in DIY CO2

I am contemplating the use of a DIY CO2 system and it looks like there are
three major types of disasters that occur. Exploding bottles, sucking yeast
into the tank and siphoning the tank dry. To deal with the last two
problems, it looks like a bubble counter in a jar is often used. I'm not a
siphoning expert but is that sufficient to prevent siphoning the tank? If a
siphon starts and fills the bubble counter, could the water then siphon from
the tank through the counter and into the bottle? Of course I also wonder,
since the system is sealed, if it is possible to siphon more than 2l out of
the tank since once the bottle is full, the water has no where to go?

If I want to use a check valve can I use the average $1.00 one at PetsMart?
I have seen some posts with references to problems with using standard air
hose and valves with CO2 systems, but I can't seem to find any details as to
what the problems actually are.

Thanks!

--

------------------------------------
Curtis Thetford

Old 16-09-2004, 02:18 PM
RedForeman ©®

|| I am contemplating the use of a DIY CO2 system and it looks like
|| there are three major types of disasters that occur. Exploding
|| bottles, sucking yeast into the tank and siphoning the tank dry. To
|| deal with the last two problems, it looks like a bubble counter in a
|| jar is often used. I'm not a siphoning expert but is that
|| sufficient to prevent siphoning the tank? If a siphon starts and
|| fills the bubble counter, could the water then siphon from the tank
|| through the counter and into the bottle? Of course I also wonder,
|| since the system is sealed, if it is possible to siphon more than 2l
|| out of the tank since once the bottle is full, the water has no
|| where to go?

If you've ever siphoned something, you know it doesn't take alot to stop the
flow... any resistance, enough to make it hesitate will probably stop it...
Most DIYers use their mixture either at level with the tank or above IIRC,
I've not seen many below the tank... but in any case, a check valve can
stop it, and you've already covered that.

|| If I want to use a check valve can I use the average $1.00 one at
|| PetsMart? I have seen some posts with references to problems with
|| using standard air hose and valves with CO2 systems, but I can't
|| seem to find any details as to what the problems actually are.

Yep, I've got a brass one and never had a problem.... The biggest issue with
standard air line hose, is CO2 does something to it... You can find CO2 line
online for a very nominal charge... you COULD use regular hose, but it would
become brittle, crack and leak in a matter of weeks... I've heard ppl using
it, and coming back to change the mixture, and the hose just breaks apart..

--
| RedForeman ©® fabricator and creator of the ratbike streetfighter!!!
| ==========================
| 2003 TRX450ES
| 1992 TRX-350 XX (For Sale)
| '98 Tacoma Ext Cab 4X4 Lifted....
| for any questions you may have....
| Gmail - the ultimate in disappointment...

FA: DIY CO2 injection system with 5 lb CO2 tank kachunk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 22-11-2004 02:07 PM
Backflow preventer dripping John Vannoy Lawns 3 11-08-2004 02:10 PM
Irrigation Backflow Carol Gardening 1 29-04-2004 06:02 AM
DIY CO2 Question kush Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 06:13 AM
Maximum PSI Pressure created by DIY CO2 Harry Muscle Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 29-03-2003 03:20 PM