Old 06-02-2003, 12:38 AM
John Hines

Default 2 Koi Dead- Cause?

(MC) wrote:

Two of my Koi died last weekend and floated to the top. I am in
Chicago and have kept the ice from freezing over with airstones and a
heat source. I am wondering if they just got sick (they were covered
in slime) or if something in the pond caused it. The water is quite
brown from all the fall leaves

Yeah, I've the same problem. I did a water change, and netted out some
of the muck from the bottom.

Said muck was some of the nastiest stuff I've ever smelled, so I'm
guessing that is the cause for me.

could, but a large number (realtive to pond size) got in. Next fall I
will cover the pond with netting. Could this have affected the fish or
does the water just look ugly to us?

yeah, I've lost fish as well. Right now, the stock tank heater is
running 24/7 (at USD$0.15/hr) and when it warms up, above freezing, I do
a water change.

Since we don't have ANY snow on the ground this year, the pond has
frozen very solid with the couple of weeks of below freezing temps.