Old 05-02-2003, 08:56 PM
MC

Default 2 Koi Dead- Cause?

Two of my Koi died last weekend and floated to the top. I am in
Chicago and have kept the ice from freezing over with airstones and a
heat source. I am wondering if they just got sick (they were covered
in slime) or if something in the pond caused it. The water is quite
brown from all the fall leaves. I tried to keep out as many as I
could, but a large number (realtive to pond size) got in. Next fall I
will cover the pond with netting. Could this have affected the fish or
does the water just look ugly to us?
Old 05-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Jim Humphries

Your need to check the water quality - pH, nitrates etc.
--
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC
om...

Old 06-02-2003, 05:22 PM

if they were covered in slime they are old dead, so it happened a while ago. the
muck on the bottom has anaerobic fermentation going... and koi sit on the bottom,
even root on teh bottom and toxic gases are released from that muck.
Ponds really gotta be cleaned in fall. cant let em go until spring. it is a bitch
cause it is always sooooo cold. but with the netting and my veggie filter I dont
have muck cleanup.. didnt when I had a greenhouse over my big ponds. this spring I
expect to see a lot of dead fish in the big ponds, none in my new koi pond. sigh.
the other thing to consider is if the fish werent in good shape and/or had a load of
cooties that could have been the cause. Ingrid

Old 06-02-2003, 06:02 PM
MC

I will check the water quality, but since the pond is frozen except
for a 5 inch hole, I don't know what I could about it. Also, isn't it
unsafe to do a water change with the Koi dormant? I thought you
weren't suppose to disturb them.

"Jim Humphries" wrote in message a...
Your need to check the water quality - pH, nitrates etc.
--
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC
om...

Old 06-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Jim Humphries

Amen, Fall cleanup is a must, and a net keeps it to a minimum along with
protecting from Herons. I am also a believer in salt to protect against
infections.

Old 08-02-2003, 11:38 PM
~ jan

Besides what Ingrid said about the anerobic bacteria going on..... the
leaves probably used all your buffer (KH) and your pH is mostly acidic and
fluctuating. I suck my pond bottoms clean with a shop vac and then use
window screening and wait till spring.

On 6 Feb 2003 10:02:54 -0800, (MC) wrote:
I will check the water quality, but since the pond is frozen except
for a 5 inch hole, I don't know what I could about it. Also, isn't it
unsafe to do a water change with the Koi dormant? I thought you
weren't suppose to disturb them.

Water changes can be done in winter. All depends on the temperature. If
there is a large difference between pond water and tap water temps do
several small changes. Don't forget the dechlor as the colder the water the
higher the concentration of chlorine it can contain. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 09-02-2003, 03:37 PM

yeah.. that is the obvious alternative. clean the pond end of summer when the water
temp is still above 55oF and the fish immune system is still active and then net the
pond to keep the leaves out. remove the net in spring when the leaves quit blowing
around big time. Ingrid

Old 10-02-2003, 02:25 AM
~ jan

Besides the leaves, the ponds don't get schuck and blossom fall off the
maple tree. I think that is one of the most surprising things about having
a pond, how messy one's trees are.

I will have the ponds un-netted and filter going by the time the seeds fall
and the skimmer will catch the majority of those. Plus, unlike the schucks
& blossoms, the helicopter-seed pods float for quite a while to pick out
what hasn't floated over to the skimmer.

Then there's always the relaxing winter thought of not worrying about a
raccoon, heron or Kingfisher dining on my wintering fish. ;o) ~ jan