Old 17-09-2004, 04:35 AM
Layne

I have never seen roses used for bonsai material for the obvious
reason they have thorns...and don't grow thick trunks. You could
certainly try though. The flowers will not stunt like the plant will.
Flowers and fruit remain the same size whether the plant is bonsai'ed
or grown full size. I'd try miniature roses and see what develops.

Also, you don't have to go through the trouble of air layering as
roses take from cuttings very well. You can air layer if you like
though.

Good luck,

Layne

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:39:13 -0400, Anthony Toft
wrote:

Has anyone bonsai'ed a rose bush? My new house has an empty lot next to it
that will be cleared of a bunch of roses, and I am wondering if I could
cultivate from them (possibly by air layering them just to get the
bonsai-esque parts of the top?

Would they generate tiny flowers or regular ones?

Anthony