Old 16-09-2004, 04:39 AM
Anthony Toft

Default Bonsai Roses

Has anyone bonsai'ed a rose bush? My new house has an empty lot next to it
that will be cleared of a bunch of roses, and I am wondering if I could
cultivate from them (possibly by air layering them just to get the
bonsai-esque parts of the top?

Would they generate tiny flowers or regular ones?

Anthony
--
Anthony Toft

My name is Anton and I approve this message
Old 16-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Jim Lewis

On 15 Sep 2004 at 23:39, Anthony Toft wrote:

Has anyone bonsai'ed a rose bush? My new house has an empty lot next to it
that will be cleared of a bunch of roses, and I am wondering if I could
cultivate from them (possibly by air layering them just to get the
bonsai-esque parts of the top?

Would they generate tiny flowers or regular ones?

I have seen some fairly impressive roses in bonsai pots, but I
would call them "accent plants" rather than "bonsai." I have a
miniature rose (flowers about 1 inch) that I've tried to grow a
significant enough "trunk" on to put in a small pot. The
jointed stems of roses just don't lend themselves to forming
"trunks."

That said, if these are OLD roses, dig some up and use the heavy
stumps (don't bother with air layers, you'll just get stems) as
the Base (or basis) for a flowering plant in a pot -- i.e.
bonsai.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Kitsune Miko

I have one out of 6 minature roses that made it to
look like a bonsai. I styped it as shohin and have
shown it as such. It is possible, but the design
changes as the plant decides on new branches. They
don't like much wiring. It has to be really gentle
and loose. This one has been in process for 20 years.

I am working on a hedge rose with 2" flowers and
medium leaves. Nice trunk, but I get dieback, if I
prune too vigorsly, past where I wanted it to be.
Roses will sprout as they will. I will learn their
language and this one will hopefully become a bonsai.
(Unless when I learn it's language I find it is
shouting obscenities ;-D)

So dig up the roses as they go dormant if possible.
If they have leaves, defoliate. Make sure you get
some feeder roots.

Good luck,

Kitsune Miko

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 17-09-2004, 04:35 AM
Layne

I have never seen roses used for bonsai material for the obvious
reason they have thorns...and don't grow thick trunks. You could
certainly try though. The flowers will not stunt like the plant will.
Flowers and fruit remain the same size whether the plant is bonsai'ed
or grown full size. I'd try miniature roses and see what develops.

Also, you don't have to go through the trouble of air layering as
roses take from cuttings very well. You can air layer if you like
though.

Good luck,

Layne