Old 17-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Composting dog doings

I'm about to adopt a greyhound. She will be my first dog since uni, and
(in a flurry of fencing and putting up gates) I've started to think about
the 'disposal problem'.

I don't fancy dog doings in my main compost heaps. This is probably
illogical: they do get pretty hot, and I do sometimes pop dead rodents and
small rabbits in there(presents from the cats), plus most of my shrubs must
be liberally mulched with cat doings anyway.

But I just don't like the idea.

I have got a big box of biodegradeable paper/card poop scoops, and I reckon
it must be possible to dispose of these in the (largish, childfree) garden
in some way with reasonable safety.

What's the best approach? Dig a deep hole and stick a cover on the top?
(bedrock is approximately only 2-3 feet down in most of the garden, so a
real pit is not really feasible. I suppose I could do the pond thing and
use the original diggings to build up the sides a bit.)

Have a separate compost heap for use on non-food plants only, layer poo
with grass cuttings, and handle the results with gloves?

Something else?

All suggestions welcome!

I really don't want to put them in the bin: we have a landfill shortage
problem down here, and apart from that our binbags sometimes get the
attention of the local fox, so I try to only put things in the bin that I
don't mind cleaning off the lane the next day if necessary. ;-)

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall