Old 17-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Composting dog doings

I'm about to adopt a greyhound. She will be my first dog since uni, and
(in a flurry of fencing and putting up gates) I've started to think about
the 'disposal problem'.

I don't fancy dog doings in my main compost heaps. This is probably
illogical: they do get pretty hot, and I do sometimes pop dead rodents and
small rabbits in there(presents from the cats), plus most of my shrubs must
be liberally mulched with cat doings anyway.

But I just don't like the idea.

I have got a big box of biodegradeable paper/card poop scoops, and I reckon
it must be possible to dispose of these in the (largish, childfree) garden
in some way with reasonable safety.

What's the best approach? Dig a deep hole and stick a cover on the top?
(bedrock is approximately only 2-3 feet down in most of the garden, so a
real pit is not really feasible. I suppose I could do the pond thing and
use the original diggings to build up the sides a bit.)

Have a separate compost heap for use on non-food plants only, layer poo
with grass cuttings, and handle the results with gloves?

Something else?

All suggestions welcome!

I really don't want to put them in the bin: we have a landfill shortage
problem down here, and apart from that our binbags sometimes get the
attention of the local fox, so I try to only put things in the bin that I
don't mind cleaning off the lane the next day if necessary. ;-)

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 17-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Tracey

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.209...
[...]

I was looking through a catalogue last night that came free a gardening
magazine, 'Rosemary and Thyme' Catalogue. In it there are several handy
bits and bobs for pet owners, one such, a 'Clean Green Dog Loo'. You plant
the doggy loo in your garden, pop the poop in and add a little bio-activator
which breaks it down into liquid for it to drain away into the ground. See
the product here http://tinyurl.com/5jegu

Tracey

Old 17-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Sue da Nimm

"Tracey" wrote in message

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.209...
I'm about to adopt a greyhound. She will be my first dog since uni, and
(in a flurry of fencing and putting up gates) I've started to think

about
the 'disposal problem'.

snip
I was looking through a catalogue last night that came free a gardening
magazine, 'Rosemary and Thyme' Catalogue. In it there are several handy
bits and bobs for pet owners, one such, a 'Clean Green Dog Loo'. You

plant
the doggy loo in your garden, pop the poop in and add a little

bio-activator
which breaks it down into liquid for it to drain away into the ground.

See
the product here http://tinyurl.com/5jegu

Tracey

Tried the dog loo - works for small doggies, but we have a Newfoundland (who
could fill it in a day) two retrievers and a Jack Russel.
After lots of attempts at different solutions we found the simplest was to
dig a pit and drop doggie doos in. These are then sprinkled with grass
cuttings - or anything else - to cover and keep the flies away. When the pit
is threequarteres full we start a new one and top-off the last one with some
of the soil removed. We tend to grow shrubs in between pits, which keep them
nicely obscured from view.
After several years of this we are nowhere near returning to the start
point, which has very healthy vegetation on top...
Incidently, we found a marvelous hod and rake at the local Horsey Haven.
It's meant for cleaning up behind horses, but is ideal for collecting doggie
doings without having to bend down.

Old 17-09-2004, 02:42 PM
ex WGS Hamm

[...]

Stick them down the cesspit or septic tank. Or of you are on the mains, put
them into the inspection tanks which takes your toilet waste away. Or if you
only have one dog, put them down the loo, or buy a dogloo. Don't compost dog
poo.

Old 17-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Victoria Clare

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in
:

Stick them down the cesspit or septic tank. Or of you are on the
mains, put them into the inspection tanks which takes your toilet waste
away.

We are on the mains, but the inspection hatch is not so easy to get at that
I'd want to be lifting it several times a day, I'm afraid.

I should clarify and say that as this is a rural area, there are no dog
bins. If I clear up after my pet on local walks, I'm going to have to take
the results home with me.

Don't compost dog poo.

But why not? What is the reasoning behind the warning, so I can understand
the risk?

Is it still a risk if the poo is buried as per Sue's suggestion, or kept
separate in a 'not for edibles' area? I don't grow a lot of veggies
anyway: most of my compost goes on shrub or flower beds, or round the apple
trees.

Victoria

Old 17-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Victoria Clare

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in
:

"Tracey" wrote in message

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.209...
I'm about to adopt a greyhound. She will be my first dog since
uni, and (in a flurry of fencing and putting up gates) I've started
to think

about
the 'disposal problem'.

snip

After lots of attempts at different solutions we found the
simplest was to dig a pit and drop doggie doos in. These are then
sprinkled with grass cuttings - or anything else - to cover and keep
the flies away. When the pit is threequarteres full we start a new one

How deep are your pits usually? Is a couple of feet enough?

Incidently, we found a marvelous hod and rake at the local Horsey
Haven. It's meant for cleaning up behind horses, but is ideal for
collecting doggie doings without having to bend down.

I shall look out for one - thanks.

Victoria

Old 17-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Victoria Clare

Janet Baraclough.. wrote in
:

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

I'm about to adopt a greyhound.

Lovely dogs, but are you sure this is a good breed to combine with pet
rabbits?????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the bunnies live in the front garden in a sumptuous dogproof des res,
where I can easily get to them with prunings from the roses and the beech
hedge (they are handy shredders).

The greyhound will initially only see them when she's on the lead, if all
goes to plan, and will have the back garden as her area.

I understand that the greyhound/bunnie thing is mostly down to the instinct
to chase small things that run away, and running away is not really
something Amber and Elise do much. Running *towards*, yes...

I'm not sure there is any perfectly rabbit-friendly dog breed, so in the
end we went with a cat-tested one and hope to train her.

If I'm not planting, I tip the pooh under a hedge or some large pieris,
where I never otherwise garden. The plastic bag then goes in the bin.

Hmm, good. I have many hedges!

Victoria
Old 17-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Sue da Nimm

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.206...
How deep are your pits usually? Is a couple of feet enough?

A couple of feet is all I can manage - we're on boulder clay and it's a mare
to dig.
I normally dig a cardboard box sized pit. Each layer of poo only needs a
sprinkling of grass to supress the pong and foil insects. As an added
benefit slugs seem to be drawn to it....

Old 17-09-2004, 06:10 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.206...
"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in
:

Stick them down the cesspit or septic tank. Or of you are on the
mains, put them into the inspection tanks which takes your toilet waste
away.

We are on the mains, but the inspection hatch is not so easy to get at

that
I'd want to be lifting it several times a day, I'm afraid.

You don't have to. Get a big bucket, put some bleachy water in and put 3
days worth at a time down the hatch. With only one dog you won't have much
of a problem. I have 7!!

I should clarify and say that as this is a rural area, there are no dog
bins. If I clear up after my pet on local walks, I'm going to have to

take
the results home with me.

I am so rural there is no mains drainage, but we have dog bins. A word to
your local council might produce some dog bins.

Don't compost dog poo.

But why not? What is the reasoning behind the warning, so I can

understand
the risk?

I have a feeling it has to do with the risk of toxicara canis.

Old 17-09-2004, 08:55 PM
ned

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.206...

snip

But why not? What is the reasoning behind the warning, so I can

understand
the risk?

I have a feeling it has to do with the risk of toxicara canis.

If there is a risk of you wiping your forehead with hands that have
just been immersed in your fresh compost heap - well, yes, I suppose
that there might be a toxicara canis risk. But considering the fact
that we are quite happy to knowingly spread horse, cow, sheep and
'other' assorted dung around, notwithstanding that we blissfully
ignore all the natural bird, rodent, insect, etc. droppings that
happily energise our soil, I feel that the real dangers are somewhat
exaggerated by those with specific revulsions, ie, those that will
happily kick sheep shit around a field yet get screwed up at the very
sight of what might be dog-shit. Tell them its fox droppings or
hedgehog poo and that makes everything fine!

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 17.09.2004

Old 17-09-2004, 10:43 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
You'll no doubt be worming your dog regularly, but they can be
reinfected very fast if they eat some carrion/lick other dogs bottoms
etc, as most dogs love to do.

puts down bowl of spaghetti bolognaise

Old 17-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
ex WGS Hamm wrote:
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
.. .

You'll no doubt be worming your dog regularly, but they can be
reinfected very fast if they eat some carrion/lick other dogs bottoms
etc, as most dogs love to do.

puts down bowl of spaghetti bolognaise

Which is promptly half-eaten by the dog ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-09-2004, 10:45 AM
ex WGS Hamm

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
ex WGS Hamm wrote:
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in

message
.. .

You'll no doubt be worming your dog regularly, but they can be
reinfected very fast if they eat some carrion/lick other dogs bottoms
etc, as most dogs love to do.

puts down bowl of spaghetti bolognaise

Which is promptly half-eaten by the dog ....

Lies!! it was *all* eaten :0)

Old 18-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Mike Lyle

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:43:19 GMT, "ex WGS Hamm"
wrote:

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote

in message
.. .
You'll no doubt be worming your dog regularly, but they can be
reinfected very fast if they eat some carrion/lick other dogs

bottoms
etc, as most dogs love to do.

puts down bowl of spaghetti bolognaise

chokes on croissants

And I thought the reason we never got another dog was that we were
all heartbroken when the old one died...(clasping a son a hand taller
than oneself while both wept was a strangely rewarding experience,
but neither of us seems keen on deliberately seeking out the same
reason for a replay. Maybe I'm more Australian than I thought.)

Mike.

Old 06-10-2004, 06:53 AM
oknwht?

On 9/17/04 4:02 AM, in article
, "Victoria Clare"
wrote:

I'm about to adopt a greyhound. She will be my first dog since uni, and
(in a flurry of fencing and putting up gates) I've started to think about
the 'disposal problem'.
Victoria

This site may solve the disposal problem for many dog and cat owners.
http://www.petwasterecycle.com