Old 19-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Allyb

Default Nitrates and Phosphates out of control

I'm having a hard time in my tank with algae, I believe due to the fact that
I can't get my nitrate and phosphate levels right. I hope someone has some
advice, or can tell me if I'm doing the right thing and just need to be
patient.

I have a 55 gallon tank. First, I have very high levels of phosphates in my
well water, and am using Kent Marine phosphate remover in my fluval 304 to
lower the levels. Using a Red Sea test kit, the lowest I can get my levels
is somewhere just below 0.1. Seems like I should be able to get them to 0,
but I keep adding fresh phosphate remover, and my levels stay the same. Is
there a test kit that's shows a wider range at lower levels? 0.1 is still
too high, isn't it?

Second, I'm using green light stump remover for nitrates. I put three
tablespoons in 1 cup of water so that each ml added to my tank should be
about 1ppm. I've been adding 1 to 2 ml per day so as not to stress the
fish, and I test every day and the levels are 0. How much can I safely add
at once without hurting the fish? Are the plants really consuming that much
every day? Oh, I have red temple plants, eusterallis stellata, and some
other misc stuff, those are the largest plants.

Thanks for your help in advance! Allison