Old 19-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Allyb

Default Nitrates and Phosphates out of control

I'm having a hard time in my tank with algae, I believe due to the fact that
I can't get my nitrate and phosphate levels right. I hope someone has some
advice, or can tell me if I'm doing the right thing and just need to be
patient.

I have a 55 gallon tank. First, I have very high levels of phosphates in my
well water, and am using Kent Marine phosphate remover in my fluval 304 to
lower the levels. Using a Red Sea test kit, the lowest I can get my levels
is somewhere just below 0.1. Seems like I should be able to get them to 0,
but I keep adding fresh phosphate remover, and my levels stay the same. Is
there a test kit that's shows a wider range at lower levels? 0.1 is still
too high, isn't it?

Second, I'm using green light stump remover for nitrates. I put three
tablespoons in 1 cup of water so that each ml added to my tank should be
about 1ppm. I've been adding 1 to 2 ml per day so as not to stress the
fish, and I test every day and the levels are 0. How much can I safely add
at once without hurting the fish? Are the plants really consuming that much
every day? Oh, I have red temple plants, eusterallis stellata, and some
other misc stuff, those are the largest plants.

Thanks for your help in advance! Allison

Old 20-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Happy'Cam'per

MIDPOSTED

"Allyb" wrote in message
I'm having a hard time in my tank with algae, I believe due to the fact

that
I can't get my nitrate and phosphate levels right. I hope someone has

some
advice, or can tell me if I'm doing the right thing and just need to be
patient.

Chill

I have a 55 gallon tank. First, I have very high levels of phosphates in

my
well water, and am using Kent Marine phosphate remover in my fluval 304 to
lower the levels. Using a Red Sea test kit, the lowest I can get my

levels
is somewhere just below 0.1. Seems like I should be able to get them to

0,
but I keep adding fresh phosphate remover, and my levels stay the same.

Is
there a test kit that's shows a wider range at lower levels? 0.1 is still
too high, isn't it?

First off, 0.1 should be fine, if not a tad low!!!!
I doubt your Phosphate test kit is accurate to 0.1 anyway!
You can dose Po4 in the form of 'Fleet Enema' from the chemist, pharmacy
etc.

Second, I'm using green light stump remover for nitrates. I put three
tablespoons in 1 cup of water so that each ml added to my tank should be
about 1ppm. I've been adding 1 to 2 ml per day so as not to stress the
fish, and I test every day and the levels are 0. How much can I safely

add
at once without hurting the fish? Are the plants really consuming that

much
every day? Oh, I have red temple plants, eusterallis stellata, and some
other misc stuff, those are the largest plants.

Allison, it is safe for you to add as much as 15ppm in one go, I've heard of
people who go as high as 40ppm but I would say 20ppm would be my cut off
line. I do this with no adverse effects to the fish. If you are running a
high light co2 setup then the plants can gobble as much as 5ppm per day in a
well running heavily planted tank. Try and keep your No3 level between
5-15ppm, this should keep you out of trouble. If Cyanobacteria (BGA) shows
up it means either your phosphate or No3 has bottomed out and you will need
to add some.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 20-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Allyb

Thanks for the great advice! I was afraid to add to much nitrate at once.
I'm off to dose the aquarium! Goodbye algae, woo hoo!!

Allison

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message
MIDPOSTED