Old 20-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Bob

"Steve" wrote in message
news:hFM2d.2634$wV.1896@attbi_s54...
After I mow my lawn, the grass seems to grow back unevenly such

that after a
couple days, it looks a bit shaggy and unkempt. Part of the

problem seems to
be that different portions of the grass grow at remarkably

different rates.
Part of the problem is that all the grass doesn't seem to grow

straight up;
rather, some of it tends to be matted down so that if I rake it

after
mowing, portions of it stick up like a bad haircut. Other than

this, the
lawn is in pretty decent shape.

Any ideas on how I can get my lawn to actually look like I mow

it regularly
every week (which I do)?

My experience is that many mowers do not lift the grass as they
cut. Thus, the grass lays over and grows horizontally. You can
rake these areas with a metal leaf rake with a circular lifting
motion, and stand the grass stems up. Cutting them then will
remove the long stem, and a couple months of fall growth should
have it looking good again. There are "thatchers" that lift the
grass with wire tines, as opposed to the ones that slice the
thatch. If you can find one of these to rent, use it to stand the
grass up, then mow, to make an easier job of it.Hi lift mowers,
such as the snapper, wil produce less of this problem. Regular
raking helps a lot. Mowing in different directions helps.

Bob