Old 20-09-2004, 02:26 AM
S. M. Henning

(Greg Miller) wrote:

I bought about 15 cedars 3 weeks ago for a hedge. Initially they
looked nice and green. But since planting, I've noticed they're
turning brown.

These are white cedars (swamp cedars) and came bare-root (well with a
very small root ball). I planted them into a very well amended soil.

I didn't expect transplant shock, since they were already bare-root.
In fact they have a much more comfy home now then they did in the
garden center!

If the roots were ever allowed to dry out, they are dead. Even bare
foot plants need to have the roots kept packed in a moist medium. When
I plant bare-root evergreens, I carry them around in a bucket of muddy
water when planting them so the roots can't dry out. When they are
stored they are packed in moist sphagnum moss which is healed in.

Also, bare-root plants should be bought in the early spring when they
are still dormant. Late March to mid-May is the best time to plant
bare-root material. Bare-root material should be planted before the
buds break and growth begins. Unless you are in the southern hemisphere,
I can't imagine that these plants have a chance.

White cedar can be several things, but not a Cedrus (true cedar). Thuja
occidentalis is called eastern white cedar or arborvitae or swamp cedar.
It is associated with cool, moist, nutrient-rich sites, particularly on
organic soils near streams or other drainage-ways, or on calcareous
mineral soils. Seedlings develop deep roots in well-drained soil and
shallow roots in saturated soil. With age they develop a widespreading
root system well adapted to obtain water and nutrients from cracks in
rocks.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman