Old 18-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Greg Miller

Default Cedars are browning!

I bought about 15 cedars 3 weeks ago for a hedge. Initially they
looked nice and green. But since planting, I've noticed they're
turning brown.

These are white cedars (swamp cedars) and came bare-root (well with a
very small root ball). I planted them into a very well amended soil.

I didn't expect transplant shock, since they were already bare-root.
In fact they have a much more comfy home now then they did in the
garden center!
Old 18-09-2004, 03:04 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Greg Miller" wrote in message
om...
I bought about 15 cedars 3 weeks ago for a hedge. Initially they
looked nice and green. But since planting, I've noticed they're
turning brown.

These are white cedars (swamp cedars) and came bare-root (well with a
very small root ball). I planted them into a very well amended soil.

I didn't expect transplant shock, since they were already bare-root.
In fact they have a much more comfy home now then they did in the
garden center!

By white cedar do you mean Thuja occidentalis or American Arborvitae? And
how small a rootball for what size tree? Were they B&B or containerized?
What has your weather been like and how well have they been watered?
Difficult to address your problem without knowing some details.

pam - gardengal

Old 18-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Greg Miller

Yup, Thuja occidentalis. These are 7 ft tall. They were $12 each and
were housed in a large wooden enclosure in the garden center.

Basically, it came with a small root ball (roots and soil) about the
size of a soccer ball. It was not contained by a container or burlap
or anything, just the soil ball sitting on the ground.

Thanks,
Greg
US Zone 5 Toronto

Old 19-09-2004, 03:20 AM
Pam - gardengal

That is a very small root ball for an arborvitae that tall - we sell then in
that height range with a root ball 18-24 inches wide and too heavy for a
single person to lift. If the place you purchased them from has a return
policy, I'd act on it. These will probably not survive the winter.

Considering the fact that I am on the west coast and everything here is more
expensive, I sell 7-8' arborvitaes for about $90US. It's a bit trite but
true - you get what you pay for.

Old 19-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Greg Miller

I should add that these have one main branch with very little side
branch development. They also sold those bushier, field grown cedars
for about the price you mention.

These are sold around my area as bare-root swamp cedars (Grown in a
swamp and dug). Pretty popular for hedging due to the low price, and
takes a few years to thicken up.

Greg

Old 19-09-2004, 04:33 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Greg Miller" wrote in message
om...
I should add that these have one main branch with very little side
branch development. They also sold those bushier, field grown cedars
for about the price you mention.

These are sold around my area as bare-root swamp cedars (Grown in a
swamp and dug). Pretty popular for hedging due to the low price, and
takes a few years to thicken up.

Greg

I don't know what else to tell you - I have never heard of these grown in a
swamp before, as good drainage is typically a requirement for these shrubs.
I still think that size rootball is insufficient to support something that
large and it is pretty late in the season for them to do much root
development before cold weather and frozen soils set in. I would be very
skeptical about their survivability

pam - gardengal

Old 20-09-2004, 02:26 AM
S. M. Henning

(Greg Miller) wrote:

I bought about 15 cedars 3 weeks ago for a hedge. Initially they
looked nice and green. But since planting, I've noticed they're
turning brown.

These are white cedars (swamp cedars) and came bare-root (well with a
very small root ball). I planted them into a very well amended soil.

I didn't expect transplant shock, since they were already bare-root.
In fact they have a much more comfy home now then they did in the
garden center!

If the roots were ever allowed to dry out, they are dead. Even bare
foot plants need to have the roots kept packed in a moist medium. When
I plant bare-root evergreens, I carry them around in a bucket of muddy
water when planting them so the roots can't dry out. When they are
stored they are packed in moist sphagnum moss which is healed in.

Also, bare-root plants should be bought in the early spring when they
are still dormant. Late March to mid-May is the best time to plant
bare-root material. Bare-root material should be planted before the
buds break and growth begins. Unless you are in the southern hemisphere,
I can't imagine that these plants have a chance.

White cedar can be several things, but not a Cedrus (true cedar). Thuja
occidentalis is called eastern white cedar or arborvitae or swamp cedar.
It is associated with cool, moist, nutrient-rich sites, particularly on
organic soils near streams or other drainage-ways, or on calcareous
mineral soils. Seedlings develop deep roots in well-drained soil and
shallow roots in saturated soil. With age they develop a widespreading
root system well adapted to obtain water and nutrients from cracks in
rocks.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman