Old 20-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Michel Buonarroti

"dps" wrote in message
Michel Buonarroti wrote:
....The more wood you leave in the ground, the more chance you have of

Necrotic
Ring Spot (Leptosphaeria korrae)...

I've used wood chips in my compost for some time now. The chips don't
always decompose in the composting process so some get applied to the
field. They are fairly coarse chips, so nitrogen takeup is not a real
problem as it would be with more finely divided stuff.

I've never come across Necrotic Ring Spot to my knowledge. Is this a
regional thing? I'm in New England. Of course it's possible I just don't
recognize the symptoms, but I haven't observed anything that looks like
the name sounds (other than anthracnose). Could you provide more
information about this disease?

It used to be called fusarium. It can be pretty bad on Kentucky bluegrass,
but it also affects annual bluegrass, creeping red fescue and Chewing's
fescue. It is most prevalent in spring, it can appear at any time of the
year, and is particulary destructive to sodded lawns in new housing
subdivisions developed from old woodland sites.

A good reference would be any of the editions of "Turfgrass Management" by
A.J. Turgeon, or "Diseases of Turfgrass" by Peter Dernoeden.