Old 20-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Jeff08171972

Default stump grinding

I'm having some trees removed, and the guy taking them down mentioned
that since the trees are in wells that are about 6 to 10 inches deep,
and I'll be filling them in with loam, I woulsn't need to grind the
stumps (since they only go about 6 to 10 inches below grade anyway.
Sound right? I want to plant some new trees in the area, and I'm
unsure how they would grow so close to the old stumps.
Old 20-09-2004, 02:33 PM

doesnt matter if you do grind the stumps you arent going to plant right in the same
spot anyway cause the roots are there. only reason I have stumps ground is so people
dont trip over the stump and prevent resprouting. Ingrid

(Jeff08171972) wrote:

I'm having some trees removed, and the guy taking them down mentioned
that since the trees are in wells that are about 6 to 10 inches deep,
and I'll be filling them in with loam, I woulsn't need to grind the
stumps (since they only go about 6 to 10 inches below grade anyway.
Sound right? I want to plant some new trees in the area, and I'm
unsure how they would grow so close to the old stumps.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 20-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Michel Buonarroti

"Jeff08171972" wrote in message
om...
I'm having some trees removed, and the guy taking them down mentioned
that since the trees are in wells that are about 6 to 10 inches deep,
and I'll be filling them in with loam, I woulsn't need to grind the
stumps (since they only go about 6 to 10 inches below grade anyway.
Sound right? I want to plant some new trees in the area, and I'm
unsure how they would grow so close to the old stumps.

The more wood you leave in the ground, the more chance you have of Necrotic
Ring Spot (Leptosphaeria korrae).

Old 20-09-2004, 03:35 PM
dps

Michel Buonarroti wrote:
....The more wood you leave in the ground, the more chance you have of Necrotic
Ring Spot (Leptosphaeria korrae)...

I've used wood chips in my compost for some time now. The chips don't
always decompose in the composting process so some get applied to the
field. They are fairly coarse chips, so nitrogen takeup is not a real
problem as it would be with more finely divided stuff.

I've never come across Necrotic Ring Spot to my knowledge. Is this a
regional thing? I'm in New England. Of course it's possible I just don't
recognize the symptoms, but I haven't observed anything that looks like
the name sounds (other than anthracnose). Could you provide more
information about this disease?
Old 20-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Michel Buonarroti

"dps" wrote in message
Michel Buonarroti wrote:
....The more wood you leave in the ground, the more chance you have of

Necrotic
Ring Spot (Leptosphaeria korrae)...

I've used wood chips in my compost for some time now. The chips don't
always decompose in the composting process so some get applied to the
field. They are fairly coarse chips, so nitrogen takeup is not a real
problem as it would be with more finely divided stuff.

I've never come across Necrotic Ring Spot to my knowledge. Is this a
regional thing? I'm in New England. Of course it's possible I just don't
recognize the symptoms, but I haven't observed anything that looks like
the name sounds (other than anthracnose). Could you provide more
information about this disease?

It used to be called fusarium. It can be pretty bad on Kentucky bluegrass,
but it also affects annual bluegrass, creeping red fescue and Chewing's
fescue. It is most prevalent in spring, it can appear at any time of the
year, and is particulary destructive to sodded lawns in new housing
subdivisions developed from old woodland sites.

A good reference would be any of the editions of "Turfgrass Management" by
A.J. Turgeon, or "Diseases of Turfgrass" by Peter Dernoeden.

Old 20-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Beecrofter

WRONG!

Necrotic ringspot is a disease of Kentucky Bluegrass and occurs mostly
in poor draining soils of low fertility, just what you don't want for
bluegrass.

It's possible you are confusing this with a "fairy ring" which will
occur when the fungi consuming the roots ot the tree removed produce
fruiting bodies( mushrooms) in a large circle.

Old 22-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Jeff08171972

Really, I can't just cut the roots out when I dig the hole? I should
add that I want to plant the trees nearby the old ones, and not on the
exact same spot.