Old 22-09-2004, 09:41 PM
K Barrett

Keith,

I don't see from your original post whether you have a clue as to whether
your plant is a C, Sc, Lc or what. Just to throw a spanner into the works
there is an influential hybrid called Sc. Doris ( C dowiana x Soph coccinea)
that was used in breeding small red hybrids, most notably Slc Madge Fordyce.
Crossing to cinnabarina may tend to support this idea. Wildcatt shows no US
awards but since its an old cross its possible that there's a RHS award out
there somewhere, or that it is a favorite clone that someone somewhere
decided to put the clonal epithet 'Chip' on. Sc Doris was registered by
Bull & Sons in Chelsea in 1904. If your plant blooms red with a coccinea
sort of shape you'd have a clue.

K Barrett

"Ray" wrote in message
Yes, Lc. Doris Chippindale is the registered name.

.
"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
Thanks Ray,Do you know this to be a actual name of a plant, I have tried
doing a google search without success.I have obviously heard of Lc
cinnarbarina but not Doris chip/dale.
Looks like I will have to wait till it flowers to try and I.D it.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.
"Ray" wrote in message
I suppose it could be a cross between Lc Doris Chippindale and L
cinnabarina...

.
"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
Doris Chip x cinnarbarina
Can anyone help with the name of this plant I got free off someone?I

have
heard of I cinnarbarina but not doris chip.The leaves are

unifoliate.
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.