Old 22-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Bob S.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
I'm about to start digging a new vegetable garden, and I'm sure the deer
will arrive for a late night snack about 20 minutes after I'm done. So, I'm
entertaining the though of running an electric fence around the plot. I'm
interested in opinions from anyone who's either been satisfied with a
specific brand or catalog offering, or totally disgusted (so I can avoid
that one). Positive recommendations should refer to units sold in the U.S.
-Doug

I run 4 strands, 6", 2', 4', and 6'. Chargers come "continuous" or
"pulsed". I use a pulsed one for safety reasons - the current is off
long enough for you to get loose from it if needed. One of the old
tricks is cutting strips of tin foil, clothes pinning them to the hot
wire, and rubbing peanut butter on them. A deer or other animal needs
only one shock to the tongue to learn to stay away.
I have lots of deer on my property, but they have learned to stay out
of the garden. Haven't had one in there in years now.

Bob S.