Old 23-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Andrew G

Default Maple dying, elm setback?

Hi everyone.
I have a Japanese Maple (thats all I know, not sure on particular variety).
Here in Australia were are into our 4th week of Spring, and my maple has not
yet thrown out leaves from the buds.
About 2 months ago I root pruned it, top pruned it. We don't get snow here,
and didn't even get a frost since then.
The buds have swollen, but the largest ones seemed to turn to dust,
literally. They went like a furry ball. Not a furry as in a growth on them,
but rather the surface of the bud turning to a "velour feel and look".
Smaller buds still look alive and fine. Scratching back bark from any part
of the tree, including fine twigs reveals green.
After reading and learning more on bonsai, this is the first year I have
taken care to root prune at the right time, the others was simply when I
felt like it using a spade to cut through the rootball, as they were in
large training pots.
Also, my elm which is yet to be correctly identified but beleived to be
chinese elm, was root pruned heavily, still alive but not yet thrown leaves
from shoots. However a quick check a few hours ago revealed a good sign of
bud swell. I am confident it will live.
Any ideas on the maple? Has it and the elm suffered slight setback from
heavy rootpruning?
Other deciduous including an English Elm (I think) and Liquidamber have new
growth on them, all are in same environment. Also all deciduous trees in the
area have new growth.
Thanks for any help.
Andrew
--