Old 23-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Spider

Des Higgins wrote in message

"Philip" wrote in message
m...
Magwitch wrote in message

What is this tree? About 3*4m tall, lollipop shaped, with bark like a
cherry, but the fruit is more like a hawthorn. I'll need the Latin

name
so I
can order it and get the right tree.

http://www.larksrise.com/Berries%20and%20leaves.jpg

Could be a Crataegus like the previous poster said or it could be a

Sorbus.

Sorbus suecica looks a little like that - here a picture for comparison.

http://caliban.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~st...indman/285.jpg

Heres a picture of a Crataegus oxyacantha for comparison

http://caliban.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~st...indman/286.jpg

Hope thats of some help

I go for the Sorbus (Rowan/Whitebeam/Mountain Ash).
There is a widely planted pne that looks like the photo but I do not know
which species or variety.

Des

It certainly isn't Crataegus x persimilis Prunifolia; I grow this tree and
would recognise it.
I'm certain it's Sorbus - probably the one commonly called ******* Service
Tree. Sorry, I don't know the botanical species name off-hand.
Spider