Old 22-09-2004, 01:13 AM
Magwitch

Default What's this tree?

What is this tree? About 3*4m tall, lollipop shaped, with bark like a
cherry, but the fruit is more like a hawthorn. I'll need the Latin name so I
can order it and get the right tree.

http://www.larksrise.com/Berries%20and%20leaves.jpg

Old 22-09-2004, 08:53 PM
cross

"Magwitch" wrote in message
What is this tree? About 3*4m tall, lollipop shaped, with bark like a
cherry, but the fruit is more like a hawthorn. I'll need the Latin name so

can order it and get the right tree.

http://www.larksrise.com/Berries%20and%20leaves.jpg

-------------------
Could be Crataegus persimilis 'Prunifolia'. Supposed to be one of the best
hawthorns. I planted one last autumn which is doing well.

http://www.thornhayes-nursery.co.uk/...scape/0009.jpg

Did you mean 34m tall? If so it is unlikely to be the above ;-)

Marina
E. Sx

Old 22-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Magwitch

cross muttered:

"Magwitch" wrote in message
What is this tree? About 3*4m tall, lollipop shaped, with bark like a
cherry, but the fruit is more like a hawthorn. I'll need the Latin name so

can order it and get the right tree.

http://www.larksrise.com/Berries%20and%20leaves.jpg

-------------------
Could be Crataegus persimilis 'Prunifolia'. Supposed to be one of the best
hawthorns. I planted one last autumn which is doing well.

http://www.thornhayes-nursery.co.uk/...scape/0009.jpg

Did you mean 34m tall? If so it is unlikely to be the above ;-)

Marina
E. Sx

Brilliant thanks! I had a feeling it was more of a hawthorn... ( height 3
*to* 4 metres but it wouldn't really matter if it did reach 34 here). Are
the berries ok for birds - that would be the 'cherry on the cake' ;o)

Old 23-09-2004, 08:54 AM
Kay

In article , Magwitch
writes
What is this tree? About 3*4m tall, lollipop shaped, with bark like a
cherry, but the fruit is more like a hawthorn. I'll need the Latin name so I
can order it and get the right tree.

http://www.larksrise.com/Berries%20and%20leaves.jpg

Looks like a Sorbus.
S. intermedia?
--
Kay

Old 23-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Philip

Magwitch wrote in message ...
What is this tree? About 3*4m tall, lollipop shaped, with bark like a
cherry, but the fruit is more like a hawthorn. I'll need the Latin name so I
can order it and get the right tree.

http://www.larksrise.com/Berries%20and%20leaves.jpg

Could be a Crataegus like the previous poster said or it could be a Sorbus.

Sorbus suecica looks a little like that - here a picture for comparison.

http://caliban.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~st...indman/285.jpg

Heres a picture of a Crataegus oxyacantha for comparison

http://caliban.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~st...indman/286.jpg

Hope thats of some help

Old 23-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Des Higgins

"Philip" wrote in message
m...
Magwitch wrote in message

What is this tree? About 3*4m tall, lollipop shaped, with bark like a
cherry, but the fruit is more like a hawthorn. I'll need the Latin name

so I
can order it and get the right tree.

http://www.larksrise.com/Berries%20and%20leaves.jpg

Could be a Crataegus like the previous poster said or it could be a

Sorbus.

Sorbus suecica looks a little like that - here a picture for comparison.

http://caliban.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~st...indman/285.jpg

Heres a picture of a Crataegus oxyacantha for comparison

http://caliban.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~st...indman/286.jpg

Hope thats of some help

I go for the Sorbus (Rowan/Whitebeam/Mountain Ash).
There is a widely planted pne that looks like the photo but I do not know
which species or variety.

Des

Old 23-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Spider

Des Higgins wrote in message

"Philip" wrote in message
m...
Magwitch wrote in message

What is this tree? About 3*4m tall, lollipop shaped, with bark like a
cherry, but the fruit is more like a hawthorn. I'll need the Latin

name
so I
can order it and get the right tree.

http://www.larksrise.com/Berries%20and%20leaves.jpg

Could be a Crataegus like the previous poster said or it could be a

Sorbus.

Sorbus suecica looks a little like that - here a picture for comparison.

http://caliban.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~st...indman/285.jpg

Heres a picture of a Crataegus oxyacantha for comparison

http://caliban.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~st...indman/286.jpg

Hope thats of some help

I go for the Sorbus (Rowan/Whitebeam/Mountain Ash).
There is a widely planted pne that looks like the photo but I do not know
which species or variety.

Des

It certainly isn't Crataegus x persimilis Prunifolia; I grow this tree and
would recognise it.
I'm certain it's Sorbus - probably the one commonly called ******* Service
Tree. Sorry, I don't know the botanical species name off-hand.
Spider

Old 23-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Magwitch" wrote in message
cross muttered:

"Magwitch" wrote in message
[...]

Fieldfares and redwings are particularly fond of haws, but they are
shy of coming close to dwellings.

Franz

Old 23-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Dave Poole

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:08:42 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

******* Service
Tree

Yes- try Sorbus x thuringiaca - its natural hybrid and quite widely
distributed throughout the British Isles.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November
Old 24-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Fieldfares and redwings are particularly fond of haws, but they are
shy of coming close to dwellings.

Hum. We always used to get them next to the back door, feasting on the
last Bramleys on the ground.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 24-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

Fieldfares and redwings are particularly fond of haws, but they

are
shy of coming close to dwellings.

Hum. We always used to get them next to the back door, feasting on

the
last Bramleys on the ground.

Count your blessings.

Franz