Old 23-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Magwitch" wrote in message
cross muttered:

"Magwitch" wrote in message
What is this tree? About 3*4m tall, lollipop shaped, with bark

like a
cherry, but the fruit is more like a hawthorn. I'll need the

Latin name so
can order it and get the right tree.

http://www.larksrise.com/Berries%20and%20leaves.jpg

-------------------
Could be Crataegus persimilis 'Prunifolia'. Supposed to be one

of the best
hawthorns. I planted one last autumn which is doing well.

http://www.thornhayes-nursery.co.uk/...scape/0009.jpg

Did you mean 34m tall? If so it is unlikely to be the above ;-)

Marina
E. Sx

Brilliant thanks! I had a feeling it was more of a hawthorn... (

height 3
*to* 4 metres but it wouldn't really matter if it did reach 34

here). Are
the berries ok for birds - that would be the 'cherry on the cake'

;o)

Fieldfares and redwings are particularly fond of haws, but they are
shy of coming close to dwellings.

Franz