Old 23-09-2004, 04:28 PM
J Jackson

Lynda Thornton wrote:
: Hi

: I remember seeing a thread a while ago regarding preparing and freezing
: apples - we have a large cooking apple tree and 5 smaller eating apple
: trees (as far as I know having only just moved here) and I couldn't
: remember what the techniques were for freezing large quantities of
: apples! I have been cooking some and freezing puree, but I was hoping I
: might be able to do it a less time-consuming and messy way?

Alternatively save them as apples. Depending on the type of tree, many
apple varieties will keep well into the new year as just apples.
The apples need to be unbruised and without cuts etc and can be stored in
trays in a cool dark place - I use my cellar, but a garage or shed can be
used. Check regularly for any starting to rot and remove. I used
my last Bramley from last years crop in May.