Old 23-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Kay

In article , Malcolm
writes

In article , J Jackson
writes

Alternatively save them as apples. Depending on the type of tree, many
apple varieties will keep well into the new year as just apples.
The apples need to be unbruised and without cuts etc and can be stored in
trays in a cool dark place - I use my cellar, but a garage or shed can be
used. Check regularly for any starting to rot and remove. I used
my last Bramley from last years crop in May.

I think it's best to wrap the apples first. I use squares of newspaper
and store them in boxes in the garage.

That's fine if you don't have many but gets really tedious if you have a
lot!
(My toleration for tedium may be a good deal less than yours. I usually
store about 100lb apples)

They take up less room than
spread out in trays

If you can get hold of fruit boxes or even shallow cardboard veg boxes,
they can be stacked and don't take a lot of room.

and the skins don't seem to go so wrinkled, not that
that is too important.

That's because you're retaining the moisture level in the atmosphere
surrounding the apple. I store mine in a damp cellar, which has the same
effect.

--
Kay