Old 25-09-2004, 01:31 AM
Iris Cohen

Why? His cat is a botanist?
Oh dear. The curse of our age: over-specialization.

That's nothing. Our cat is a linguist. She sometimes makes up new words or
finds new uses for existing words. And she studies foreign languages. She
understands English unusually well.
Kasi made up a command for the dog, which she uses when he plays too rough. He
interpreted it as Sit, Stay. When the cat said it, he sat down & didn't move
for three minutes, while she eyeballed him. He only got up when she walked
away.
You know the cat "word" for Come here at once. Kasi uses a quieter version of
it, just once, for Where are you? If you answer her, she doesn't say anything
else.
She did make a mistake once in interpreting dog language. We had a very stupid
dog house guest for several months last winter. Kasi is dearly fond of our dog
Busta, but had no use for Satchmo, who didn't know how to treat a cat. Satch
got along well with Busta, but a couple of times he was rude (e. g. tried to
take a bone Busta was chewing). Busta growled at him very seriously. Kasi heard
him from two rooms away and came tearing in, threatening to rip Satch apart. I
finally figured it out. Kasi couldn't tell if Busta was being attacked or just
annoyed, & she assumed the worst.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."