Old 18-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Ricey

richard patefield Wrote:
Hello,
I had heard about some difficulties with beech but like yourself was
served with a fait a compli to move some about three weeks ago - I'm
in the north of England.

These had been part of a hedge that had been planted about thirty
years and cut down to stumps fifteen years ago.

I ended up with two stumps of about 4 inches dia (that will never be
anything other than an example here and an experiment in beech care
for me) but I found a piece of root that had started to branch and has
some potential as a raft.

The main point here is that I'm not an expert but was just sensible -
cut back the foliage to balance the roots, didn't leave them lying
about to dry out- and everything I took seems fine now.

Based on my experience I would say, 'Enjoy your dig and be hopeful.'

Richard

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 18:13:59 +0100, you wrote:

Thanks all for input.

Kitsune, I believe that complete defoliation of beech is not an option
as it is one of the few deciduous species that has a single budding
period. This is why I think that drastic reduction to balance out any
root loss will be the more viable option.

As Jim said, if we don't try they will just go on the bonfire and that
seems a great pity and waste of good potential material.

Even if the percentage of success is low there will be a good 30 to 40
trunks so we may get a few to survive. I'm wondering if collecting
during summer resting would give us the best chance of success.

I'll try to get some before and after shots for the gallery and keep
you
all posted.

Cheers

Kev Bailey

I will also speak from ignorance of beech growth
habits, but this is the season to defoliate and repot
other decidious trees, might this be a solution? That
is to defoliate the collected trees to match the root
mass removal?

Kitsune Miko

Who live in California and always listens to what the
tree wants instead of reading books.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

You can move trees any time of the year, Root ball in summer a must,
bigger the better, and then after care with a root fungus, this fungus
acts
as a root,MYCORRHIZAE,
WWW.rootsinc.com, to see some large beech being
moved go look at http://www.actiontree.com/1201.html, IT CAN BE DONE

--
Ricey

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++