Old 25-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Broadback

Franz Heymann wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

As a matter of fact, if water removal is all that is achieved in

the

salt stage, you might as well omit it, since the vinegar will also
remove water from the inside of the onion.

But by reducing the strength of the vinegar, it renders it more

liable

to bacterial attack. (Even with the stronger pickling vinegars)

When the chips are really down, I have my doubts if there is actually
much water removal from the onions with the use of either salt or
vinegar.
If a substantial amount of water had been removed, the onions would be
shrivelled and limp.

Franz

Right, thanks for all the replies, this is the longest thread I have
ever started. I have pickled about half my onions using the salt
method, I will pickle the rest straight into the spiced vinegar, so I
will see if they are any different.
Let me have your address Franz, and if they are useless I'll send them
to you. ;-)