Old 25-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Mike Lyle

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In article , Pen

Phill
writes
Hello all

Can anyone give a name and effective treatment for this annoying
(but pretty) weed that is slowly invading my lawn. It is small,
leaves about 1cm accross and spade shaped. The roots appear to
spread in the same way as buttercup. The flowers are blue and

during
Summer there are lots of them. I would particularly like to know

how
to selectivly KILL them as lawn weedkillers don't seem to have any
effect. I have pulled a bit and scanned it he

http://pageperso.aol.fr/Penphill/weed.jpg

Phil

Looks like a violet of some description.

Seems like the common dog violet, doesn't it? I wouldn't want to kill
it off, myself: I actually tried to introduce it to my lawn in Wales,
but without success. I suppose the lawn weedkiller granules must be
falling off, as I don't understand how else you haven't knocked it
out. If lawn treatments and regular mowing don't shift it, I imagine
hand weeding is the only thing.

Mike.