Old 26-09-2004, 03:17 AM
gl

Hmmm a good tip (scratching the bark a little) - I'll go and give it a try

"Andrew G" wrote in message

"gl" wrote in message
Hi - a few months ago we planted a tropical Birch tree in a huge pot in

the
garden. It's hooked up to the watering system, and gets lots of sun

during
the day. In winter it lost it's leaves (as expected) but it still

doesn't
have any new shoots or buds! It doesn't seem to be dead... but nothing
appears to be happening, even though it's quite warm in Brisbane now. I
tried watering it with some seasol about 2 weeks ago to see if that

would
kick it into action, but no joy. Should I assume it's dead? Or am I just
impatient?
(we also have a deciduous mulberry in the garden, and it's already

covered
in fully grown leaves and flowers).

Hi
Use your fingernail to scratch back some of the bark, preferably on the
thinnest branches. Try a few, if it's green then there is still a chance

it
will live. If not, and if there are no buds on it, then it probably is

dead
I have been waiting for a Chinese Elm and Japanese maple to show new

shoots
here. I had almost given up hope except for the green on it when I

scratched
back bark. Only in the past 3 days has it shown signs of the buds bursting