Old 23-09-2004, 12:32 PM
gl

Default Deciduous tree in brisbane - no leaves!?

Hi - a few months ago we planted a tropical Birch tree in a huge pot in the
garden. It's hooked up to the watering system, and gets lots of sun during
the day. In winter it lost it's leaves (as expected) but it still doesn't
have any new shoots or buds! It doesn't seem to be dead... but nothing
appears to be happening, even though it's quite warm in Brisbane now. I
tried watering it with some seasol about 2 weeks ago to see if that would
kick it into action, but no joy. Should I assume it's dead? Or am I just
impatient?
(we also have a deciduous mulberry in the garden, and it's already covered
in fully grown leaves and flowers).

Old 25-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"gl" wrote:

Hi - a few months ago we planted a tropical Birch tree in a huge pot in the
garden.

What's the scientific name for it? I thought a tropical birch would be a
conntradiction in terms!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old 25-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Andrew G

"gl" wrote in message
Hi - a few months ago we planted a tropical Birch tree in a huge pot in

the
garden. It's hooked up to the watering system, and gets lots of sun during
the day. In winter it lost it's leaves (as expected) but it still doesn't
have any new shoots or buds! It doesn't seem to be dead... but nothing
appears to be happening, even though it's quite warm in Brisbane now. I
tried watering it with some seasol about 2 weeks ago to see if that would
kick it into action, but no joy. Should I assume it's dead? Or am I just
impatient?
(we also have a deciduous mulberry in the garden, and it's already covered
in fully grown leaves and flowers).

Hi
Use your fingernail to scratch back some of the bark, preferably on the
thinnest branches. Try a few, if it's green then there is still a chance it
will live. If not, and if there are no buds on it, then it probably is dead
I have been waiting for a Chinese Elm and Japanese maple to show new shoots
here. I had almost given up hope except for the green on it when I scratched
back bark. Only in the past 3 days has it shown signs of the buds bursting

Old 26-09-2004, 03:16 AM
gl

rofl - I agree, it sounds like an impossibility
I believe the full name is "Betula nigra", and I can't remember the actual
variety name, but it might be "Cully". They seemed to be a commonly
available tree in the area a few months ago. Really pretty little tree, with
reddish trunk and small leaves (before it lost them!). The leaves didn't
seem to go brilliant colours unfortunately, just a boring yellow.
I think this is it (it's also called River Birch?)
http://www.floridata.com/ref/B/betula_n.cfm

Old 28-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"gl" wrote:

rofl - I agree, it sounds like an impossibility
I believe the full name is "Betula nigra", and I can't remember the actual
variety name, but it might be "Cully". They seemed to be a commonly
available tree in the area a few months ago. Really pretty little tree, with
reddish trunk and small leaves (before it lost them!). The leaves didn't
seem to go brilliant colours unfortunately, just a boring yellow.
I think this is it (it's also called River Birch?)
http://www.floridata.com/ref/B/betula_n.cfm

http://www.forestry.about.com/librar.../aa070902a.htm has a bit more about
them. It's encouraging that it survives in Florida, but looks like it
probably likes lots and lots of water, especially to establish. Hope it comes
through, but it doesn't look promising....