Old 26-09-2004, 09:00 PM
vanicusrex vanicusrex is offline
Registered User

I'm in the same boat as you buddy. Bought house 2 years ago, gravel driveway bordered by monkey a.k.a. mondo grass. I got sick of trying to keep the St. Augustine out of the monkey grass and it was tough to mow with the monkey grass in place. It had to go.

First, I mowed it down. Then tried Roundup...several times. It knocks it back, but only briefly. I finally stumbled on something that looks like it's working. GASOLINE! It's cheap, readily available, and it works. I guess the reason it works so well, is that you can saturate the root system of the grass. Though it's not the greatest for the environment, it'll be cheaper than having it dug out.

Good luck,
Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harristl
We recently purchased a home previously owned by a Mondo grass
fanatic! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy most garden plants. . .in
moderation! In this case, however, we have 18" strips down both sides
of a 70' driveway, creating what looks a little like a runway on
Gilligan's Island!

My question is simple. . .how do I kill it. . .for good? I have tried
Roundup, but was successful only at temporarily killing the foilage.
After two, heavy applications, the grass itself seems to be coming
back stronger than ever!