Old 11-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Harristl

Default Mondo Grass Bed

We recently purchased a home previously owned by a Mondo grass
fanatic! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy most garden plants. . .in
moderation! In this case, however, we have 18" strips down both sides
of a 70' driveway, creating what looks a little like a runway on
Gilligan's Island!

My question is simple. . .how do I kill it. . .for good? I have tried
Roundup, but was successful only at temporarily killing the foilage.
After two, heavy applications, the grass itself seems to be coming
back stronger than ever!

I've already had one landscape firm offer to dig it up for around
$400. Originally, I thought that was ridiculous, but I'm starting to
wonder if it's actually a bargain! I'd really prefer to avoid a major
digging project!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Tori Harris
Paducah, KY
Old 11-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Vox Humana

"Harristl" wrote in message
om...
We recently purchased a home previously owned by a Mondo grass
fanatic! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy most garden plants. . .in
moderation! In this case, however, we have 18" strips down both sides
of a 70' driveway, creating what looks a little like a runway on
Gilligan's Island!

My question is simple. . .how do I kill it. . .for good? I have tried
Roundup, but was successful only at temporarily killing the foilage.
After two, heavy applications, the grass itself seems to be coming
back stronger than ever!

I've already had one landscape firm offer to dig it up for around
$400. Originally, I thought that was ridiculous, but I'm starting to
wonder if it's actually a bargain! I'd really prefer to avoid a major
digging project!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

What do you plan to do with the area after removing the mondo grass?

Old 12-08-2004, 03:42 AM
gregpresley

If you don't need to use the area right away, you could use the 8
thicknesses of newspaper covered with some sort of mulch technique. After a
month or two, everything underneath should be dead.
om...

Old 12-08-2004, 03:43 AM
gregpresley

Another possibility would be to put an ad in the paper - offering as much
mondo grass as people wanted for their landscaping purposes if they will
come and dig it up.
om...

Old 12-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Marcy Hege

The newspaper method probably will not work. I swear the former owners of our
house must have had stock in a mondo and liriope nursery somewhere. Take the
$400 offer but get a guarantee they will keep coming back to remove what
resprouts for the next few years.

Old 12-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Vox Humana

"Harristl" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for all the responses. Since the area runs down both sides of
the driveway, we will probably just level things up with some good
topsoil and then plant grass seed to match the rest of the lawn.

It seems that the only thing that will result from removing the modo grass
is that you will then have an extra 210 square feet of grass to maintain. I
could see wanting to remove it if you had a plan for somthing unique or
interesting.

Old 13-08-2004, 01:08 AM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
Perry Templeton wrote:
I wish I was close to you, I'd dig it up, fer sure.
Perry

Which brings up another question. How well does dwarf mondo grass spread? I bought
three small clumps recently just to see how it does; I willg get some more next year
if it likes where it lives. However, I'm kind of hoping that it will be a little
invasive and spread to fill the area I put it in. How invasive is it?

I live in the Southern Appalacians in NW Georgia, hardiness region 7a.

billo
Old 26-09-2004, 09:00 PM
Registered User

I'm in the same boat as you buddy. Bought house 2 years ago, gravel driveway bordered by monkey a.k.a. mondo grass. I got sick of trying to keep the St. Augustine out of the monkey grass and it was tough to mow with the monkey grass in place. It had to go.

First, I mowed it down. Then tried Roundup...several times. It knocks it back, but only briefly. I finally stumbled on something that looks like it's working. GASOLINE! It's cheap, readily available, and it works. I guess the reason it works so well, is that you can saturate the root system of the grass. Though it's not the greatest for the environment, it'll be cheaper than having it dug out.

Good luck,
Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harristl

Old 27-09-2004, 07:49 AM
gregpresley

I PRAY this is a troll.
In much of the deep south, the aquifer (the source of most drinking
water there) is only a few feet underground - from 1 foot to 50 feet. In any
case, since gasoline contains such a variety of toxic chemicals and has the
property of floating on water, rather than sinking to the bottom where it
might eventually get sealed in by sand and muck, you're poisoning your own
drinking water and that of your friends, neighbors, children and
grandchildren. A safer, smarter solution would be to simply lay some thick
black plastic over the top of it for a few weeks during warm weather,
weighted down with heavy rocks. The combination of heat, lack of sunlight
and water will do it in. I think it can be done with clear plastic too, but
I think I have heard that you must be careful to really keep the clear
plastic down tight to the plants - otherwise, you're just creating a little
greenhouse down there- albeit a very very very hot one.

--
vanicusrex

[IMG] code is On

Mondo Grass Question jammer Ponds 8 15-03-2004 11:45 PM
Black Mondo Grass For Sale Ben Australia 0 13-11-2003 07:22 AM
[IBC] tips for mondo grass Lynn Boyd Bonsai 4 28-09-2003 02:14 AM
tips for mondo grass SHO2n Bonsai 0 27-09-2003 09:03 PM
mondo grass, any info out there karma_2120 Australia 0 13-09-2003 09:42 PM