Old 26-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Double Digger
writes
Hi,

This is my first posting to this group. I have recently taken over quite a
large area of garden that was previously used for growing vegetables, and
would like to continue doing so. At the moment the whole area is bare, so I
am able to start from scratch. I remember reading that now is a good time to
sow Spinach seeds ready for spring picking and have searched T&M's web
pages for spinach and found that it should be sown in spring. Could anyone
please tell me what type of spinach to grow ( not the supermarket rubbish,
the real stuff please), and when to sow the seeds for the best results.

True spinach can be grown to produce all year round, but many gardeners
find it a tricky crop, so they grow Leaf-beet aka Perpetual Spinach
instead. That is spring sown and it will continue cropping all year and
through until the following year's crop is ready to pick.

If you really want an autumn sowing spinach, one such variety is
Monoppa, one of eight spinach varieties available online from:
www.OrganicCatalogue.com

NOTE: The 2005 Organic Gardening Catalogue is now available free online
from: www.OrganicCatalogue.com
e-mail to:
Tel: 0845 130 1304 [local rate call]
Fax: 01932 252707