Old 28-09-2004, 03:07 AM
jOhN

bdaniels1 wrote:
I need to plant a TALL privacy hedge against my back fence (about 200 feet
long). I need something that is low maintenance, will grow quickly and is
reasonably priced. Any ideas? I've heard about Green Giant Arborvitae
would they work here?

Thank you!

Arborvitae aren't very quick growersaround here.

What type of fence do you have?
How high do you want the hedge (define tall)?
Where is the area you live in (soil conditions around Austin are very
diverse)?
Do you mind pointed-tip (sharp) leaves (hollies come to mind)?

Katra's vine idea is good but grape vines are deciduous. Do you need
evergreen? If so, then I am using crossvine and it provides an opaque
layer of growth most of the time. Vine growth is easy to stimulate with
fertilizer and water for a rapid covering of the fence.

Stay away from trumpet vine unless you are into rampant and
hard-to-control growth.

jOhN