Old 27-09-2004, 03:54 PM
bdaniels1

Default Privacy Hedge for Austin, Texas

I need to plant a TALL privacy hedge against my back fence (about 200 feet
long). I need something that is low maintenance, will grow quickly and is
reasonably priced. Any ideas? I've heard about Green Giant Arborvitae
would they work here?

Thank you!

Old 27-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Katra

In article
outgardening.com,
"bdaniels1" wrote:

I need to plant a TALL privacy hedge against my back fence (about 200 feet
long). I need something that is low maintenance, will grow quickly and is
reasonably priced. Any ideas? I've heard about Green Giant Arborvitae
would they work here?

Thank you!

Wild grapes.
My privacy fence is now complete after only 3 years and low water, and
minimal maintenance.

K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply

"One man's god is another man's devil (and vice versa) as far as
I'm concerned." --Delta Nine
Old 28-09-2004, 03:07 AM
jOhN

bdaniels1 wrote:
I need to plant a TALL privacy hedge against my back fence (about 200 feet
long). I need something that is low maintenance, will grow quickly and is
reasonably priced. Any ideas? I've heard about Green Giant Arborvitae
would they work here?

Thank you!

Arborvitae aren't very quick growersaround here.

What type of fence do you have?
How high do you want the hedge (define tall)?
Where is the area you live in (soil conditions around Austin are very
diverse)?
Do you mind pointed-tip (sharp) leaves (hollies come to mind)?

Katra's vine idea is good but grape vines are deciduous. Do you need
evergreen? If so, then I am using crossvine and it provides an opaque
layer of growth most of the time. Vine growth is easy to stimulate with
fertilizer and water for a rapid covering of the fence.

Stay away from trumpet vine unless you are into rampant and
hard-to-control growth.

jOhN
Old 29-09-2004, 02:21 AM
bdaniels1

It's a stone fence and we'd definately like something evergreen. Also, it
will be on the opposite side of our fence so we'd like something low
maintenance. By tall we mean 15 feet or higher.

Thanks

Old 29-09-2004, 03:33 AM
Therasa

Japanese Ligustrum.

lkaboutgardening.com...

Old 29-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Katra

In article
outgardening.com,
"bdaniels1" wrote:

It's a stone fence and we'd definately like something evergreen. Also, it
will be on the opposite side of our fence so we'd like something low
maintenance. By tall we mean 15 feet or higher.

Thanks

Privett ash...

I have _tons_ of baby ones in my yard and I dig them up and pot them if
they are someplace where I don't want them. They will eventually be
re-planted on the East fence!

They can get to be 30' or more, or less if you keep them pruned down.

It's an interesting tree. Makes a beautiful, tall tree, or a thick hedge
if you train it.

And it's native so does not take a lot of water.

K.

Old 29-09-2004, 07:05 PM
N. Woolley

NOoooooooo!!!!! That's an invasive non-native plant!

How about Cherry Laurel, Nandina, Texas Mountain Laurel, Wafer Ash,
Evergreen Sumac or other native plant? Check with the Lady Bird Johnson
Wildflower Center - they have lots of reference materials to help you
decide. And they have some really nice plantings you can walk through
and see if there are any native shrubs you like. How about a mixture of
plants instead of a solid wall of one thing?

-Nancy

Therasa wrote:
Japanese Ligustrum.

lkaboutgardening.com...

Old 01-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Andyd

A couple of notes/questions...

Nandina- I didn't think it was native. Is it?? It is also invasive,
native or not. I also don't think it gets nearly big enough to be a
privacy hedge, although I am not sure on this, I rip it out whenever I
see it around my yard.

Mountain Laurel- The original post said quick grower. Although
Mountain Laurel would be a wonderful privacy hedge, it is only a fast
grower on a geologic time scale. Well not quite, but you aren't
getting 15 feet for many, many, many years.

Cherry Laurel- Not a bad choice, but it gets very big, more tree-like
than privacy hedge-like. Fast grower though.

Of course there is always the dreaded Photinea (or however the heck
you spell it) which gets really big and is commonly used for privacy
hedges. Can't stand the stuff personally. Also Oleander, I've seen
that used for privacy hedges, although I am not big on that either.

andyd

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:05:01 GMT, "N. Woolley"
wrote:

NOoooooooo!!!!! That's an invasive non-native plant!

How about Cherry Laurel, Nandina, Texas Mountain Laurel, Wafer Ash,
Evergreen Sumac or other native plant? Check with the Lady Bird Johnson
Wildflower Center - they have lots of reference materials to help you
decide. And they have some really nice plantings you can walk through
and see if there are any native shrubs you like. How about a mixture of
plants instead of a solid wall of one thing?

-Nancy

Therasa wrote:
Japanese Ligustrum.

lkaboutgardening.com...

Old 01-10-2004, 09:58 PM
N. Woolley

I really mis-spoke by listing Nandina. It is, of course, an exotic
invasive that should NOT be planted. Same goes for Photinia.

I was thinking a mixture of plants, so a slow grower like Tx Mtn Laurel
might be OK with faster growing shrubs. It's evergreen, it's native,
butterflies love it, it has beautiful & fragrant blooms in early spring.
I just can't leave it off.

Fall native plant sale is Oct 9 & 10 (Oct 8 for members) at the LBJ
Wildflower Center. (I'm going to be out of town - drat!)

-Nancy

wrote:

NOoooooooo!!!!! That's an invasive non-native plant!

How about Cherry Laurel, Nandina, Texas Mountain Laurel, Wafer Ash,
Evergreen Sumac or other native plant? Check with the Lady Bird Johnson
Wildflower Center - they have lots of reference materials to help you
decide. And they have some really nice plantings you can walk through
and see if there are any native shrubs you like. How about a mixture of
plants instead of a solid wall of one thing?

-Nancy

Therasa wrote:

Japanese Ligustrum.

news:5ef97c8ace52d8e986a83660319775cd@localhost .talkaboutgardening.com...

Old 04-10-2004, 03:26 PM
J Rob

bdaniels1 wrote:
I need to plant a TALL privacy hedge against my back fence (about 200 feet
long). I need something that is low maintenance, will grow quickly and is
reasonably priced. Any ideas? I've heard about Green Giant Arborvitae
would they work here?

Thank you!

Photinia gets to be 15 feet tall pretty quickly. I personally hate it,
but it is used around here in just the application you describe.

--
J Rob