Old 28-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"gl" wrote:

rofl - I agree, it sounds like an impossibility
I believe the full name is "Betula nigra", and I can't remember the actual
variety name, but it might be "Cully". They seemed to be a commonly
available tree in the area a few months ago. Really pretty little tree, with
reddish trunk and small leaves (before it lost them!). The leaves didn't
seem to go brilliant colours unfortunately, just a boring yellow.
I think this is it (it's also called River Birch?)
http://www.floridata.com/ref/B/betula_n.cfm

http://www.forestry.about.com/librar.../aa070902a.htm has a bit more about
them. It's encouraging that it survives in Florida, but looks like it
probably likes lots and lots of water, especially to establish. Hope it comes
through, but it doesn't look promising....

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet